Saturday, October 4, 2008

A Quick Take on Joe Biden by NRO's Jonah Goldberg

Reaction to the First and only Vice-Presidential Debate of 2008
held on October 2 at 9 PM EDST

Friday, October 03, 2008
Quick Reax [Jonah Goldberg]
10/03 01:39 AM
It’s late I know, and I am exhausted. But I’m kind of surprised no one else made this point (and if they did and I missed it I apologize).

What struck me the most about the debate – and it probably helped having quintessential Obamaphiles in the room – was how Biden’s “gravitas” is derived almost entirely from the fact that he can lie with absolute passion and conviction. He just plain made stuff up tonight. I read a long list tonight in my debate with Beinart here at Wash U, we can visit the details tomorrow.

Just a few: Flatly asserting that Obama never said he’d meet with Achmenijad; that absolute nonsense about spending more in a month in Iraq than we’ve spent in Afghanistan (“let me say it again,” he said as if he was hammering home a real fact); the bit about McCain voting with Obama on raising taxes; his vote in favor of the war etc.

It’s amazing how the impulse to see Biden as the more qualified and serious guy stems almost entirely from his ability to be a convincing b.s. artist. I’m not saying Palin was always honest or unrehearsed, but when she offers up a catchphrase or a talking point, you can tell. When Biden spews up a warm fog of deceitful gassbaggery the response seems to be “what a great grasp of the issues he has!”

His ability, nay his eagerness, to fake not only the “facts” but his sincerity is so shameless many pundits seem either mesmerized by it or scared to call him on it. I’d call his fakery passive aggressive except it’s actually just aggressive aggressive. Beyond being a tool of trial lawyers, I never saw much similarity between Biden and John Edwards, but tonight I was really struck by how alike the two are. Edwards fakes being an everyman, and Biden does too. But his real fraud is intellectual seriousness. He talks like an intellectually mature person, but that’s all it is – talk.

Anyway, more coherent thoughts in the morning.

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=ODQ4OTBhZjZhMDMwNWFhOTg5N2Y4MmE2M2QyY2NkNjM

No comments:

Post a Comment